Enrollment opens December 14 at 8 am
Kindergarten thru 6th Grade
Doug White, Principal
436 Prospect Ave.
Kansas City, MO 64124
8:20 am – 3:20 pm
Providing tailored instruction for all students.
Garfield serves a very diverse community with students from more than 15 countries representing a variety of cultures. Many students receive specialized assistance through the English Language Learners program.
Garfield staff teaches the curriculum as provided by KCPS. Teachers support students learning with small group instruction and practice centers. KCPS implemented a one-to-one initiative at Garfield where each student in first grade through sixth have their own laptop to use as a learning tool in the classroom. These devices remain at school at the elementary level.
Developing a culture of positive behavior.
Garfield focuses on the advantages of positive behavior through the Missouri Positive Behavior Intervention Support (PBIS) initiative. PBIS is a framework for creating safe and orderly learning environments in schools, while improving the social-emotional outcomes for students. Students are encouraged to focus on what they do right as a means to success.
- Free Before & After School Care (K-6)
- National Elementary Honor Society
- Junior Achievement
- English Language Learners
- Missouri Positive Behavior Intervention School
- One-to-One digital devices
- Lead to Read
- School Garden
- Truman Health
- Score 1 Health
- Lead to Read
- Literacy Lab
Activities & programs include:
Required documents to enroll in Kindergarten – 12th Grade:
(Kindergarten must be 5 years old by August 31)
- Birth Certificate
- Student's current immunization record
- Parent/guardian photo ID (Proof of guardianship, if required)
- Previous school records – transcript, behavior, attendance (grades 1st – 6th)
- Two proofs of residency (See “Acceptable Proofs of Residency” list below)
- One from each column
ACCEPTABLE PROOFS OF RESIDENCY
(one from each column)
PROOF OF RESIDENCE #1
- Valid Property Deed
- Current Real Estate Tax Receipt
- Mortgage Statement/Bill
- Signed Residential Lease Agreement
- Residency Affidavit – Must be notarized (find at kcpublicschools.org or Office of Admissions 2901 Troost)
PROOF OF RESIDENCE #2
- Current utility bill: electric, water or gas. (Disconnect or shutoff notices will not be accepted. Bills must be within the last 30 days)
- Personal Property Tax Receipt (Past year)
- Homeowner’s/Rental Insurance Policy (Current year)
- Social Services, Social Security Statement, or Other Legal/Court Documents
- Pay stub/Pay check (within 30 days)
- Bank statement (within 30 days)